A heartfelt thank you goes to the amazing donors from the Society of St. Vincent de Paul for their support to build a new Mobile Kitchen and continue to serve the hungry in our rural communities. We hope to have the new unit on the road in January 2016. The empty 2005 Blue Bird bus is on its way to the contractor who will be taking the insides out of the old bus and installing them in the new one.
Special thanks go out to these organizations, foundations, and corporation who have generously supported this effort.
Meyer Memorial Trust $125,000
Wal-Mart Trust $35,000
Clackamas County Small Grants $10,000
Spirit Mountain Community Fund $10,000
H.W. Irwin and DCH Irwin Foundation $3,000
Kinnie Family Foundation $5,000
Resurrection St. Vincent de Paul $ 6,328
The Mobile Kitchen is a school bus that has been converted into a fully operational kitchen along with café style seating for 18 inside. Launched in 2008, our Mobile Kitchen reaches out to communities that lack free meal access and serves a free hot meal to anyone who comes aboard; on average serving 150 meals a day. In addition to regular site visits, the Mobile Kitchen also partners with other non-profits and professional groups to provide meals during events aimed at providing free medical, dental, and other resources to low and no income individuals in Portland, OR.
This program was created to address the need for free meal access in some of our more rural communities that lack the infrastructure and programs to address hunger. Since its launch in 2008, the Mobile Kitchen has expanded its service to the following communities: Sandy, Estacada, Canby, Beaverton, Happy Valley and Hillsboro.
Unfortunately the 1992 school bus (pictured above) with over 200,000 miles became increasingly unreliable, breaking down 6 times this past year, taking it off line for a total of 30 days while being repaired. This unreliability paired with significant repair costs, in the past two years we have spent over $20,000, has led our leadership and Board of Directors to the decision that the purchase and outfitting of a new Mobile Kitchen was necessary for the further growth of this program.
Please join others on Tuesday December 1, 2015 by making a generous online donation. You can follow us on http://www.givingtuesday.org/partners/society-of-st-vincent-de-paul-portland/ This year we are requesting donations to buy much needed food and materials that we do not receive through other means. A monthly donation of $26 will provide 13 meals. A onetime gift of $100 will supply fruits and vegetables for a month.
St. Vincent de Paul, Portland Council now provides loving help to 418,318 individuals in northwest Oregon including more than 245,000 hungry children. The services delivered by our volunteers help reduce hunger, prevent homelessness and keep children, families and adults warm and safe. We can only do what we do with your kind donations.
Help us help children and families who will be facing the hardships of poverty during the holiday season.
- (Oct 01, 2015) 2015 Vincentian Awards (Uncategorized)
- (Sep 23, 2015) George Winston Performance Benefits St. Vincent de Paul (Uncategorized)
- (Sep 23, 2015) Golf Tournament Scores much better than par! (Events)
- (Apr 06, 2015) St. Vincent de Paul – Portland Council earns top ranking from Charity Navigator (News)
- (Nov 19, 2014) End of Year 2014 Holiday Hours (News)
- (Oct 31, 2014) Christmas Food Box Program (Events)
- (Jun 11, 2014) June 2014 Issue of St. Vinnie Times (Featured stories)
- (May 19, 2014) 20th Annual St. Vincent de Paul Golf Tournament (Events)
- (Apr 28, 2014) Thank you Providence Health and Services Employees! (Featured stories)
- (Dec 19, 2013) St. Vincent de Paul shares insight into how we help those in need in our community (Featured stories)
- (Dec 16, 2013) Spreading Christmas cheer and supporting St. Vincent de Paul (Events)
- (Nov 26, 2013) Central Catholic High School donates nearly 4 tons of food! (Featured stories)
- (Nov 05, 2013) November 2013 Issue of St. Vinnie Times (Featured stories)
- (Jul 12, 2013) Mobile Kitchen makes a big splash in the Sandy Mountain Parade (News)
- (Jul 11, 2013) July 2013 Issue of St. Vinnie Times (Featured stories)
- (Jul 09, 2013) A Can Opener (Featured stories)
- (Jun 19, 2013) A map of detailing our impact throughout Northwest Oregon (Featured stories)
- (Sep 27, 2012) Video of Our Major Programs (Featured stories)
- (Jul 08, 2012) Gantz brothers film documentary on Portland’s struggling middle class (Long stories)
- (May 02, 2012) Portland Council’s Focus on Food Assistance (Video) (Featured stories)
- (Feb 08, 2012) Van Veen Charitable Trust Makes Gift for our Mobile Kitchen (Featured stories)
- (Feb 01, 2012) About Our Mobile Kitchen (Regular stories)
- (Dec 20, 2011) Our Food Repack Operation (Regular stories)
- (Nov 26, 2011) St. Vincent de Paul’s unique mobile kitchen serves up its tallest order yet (Long stories)
- (Nov 25, 2011) Mobile Kitchen Serves 2000 People in 2 Days (Featured stories)